Thursday 15 November 2012

Plane Crash Concept Art

Scenario: An aircraft (Boeing 747, American Airlines) has crash landed in New York, (Lower East Side area). The plane has come to rest smashed into a building. The fuselage is broken but largely intact. Parts of the aircraft have broken off and rubble and wreckage is strewn around with some smoke and fire. Our hero character (white male, 30, dark hair, T shirt, jeans) was onboard but has miraculously survived the crash and is standing stunned before the wreckage (to give the scene scale, drama and a focal point for the viewer). The director isn’t sure which time of day will work best for this scene and wants you to produce alternatives for him to consider.

First thing I did was find out what a fuselage was; apparently, its basically the the main body of the aircraft.


After learning that, I then researched the structure of a Boeing 747, American Airline aircraft, from the the shape and angles, to the design and logo. 

I then looked into the area I'll have to place my concept, Lower East Side New York. Its looks to be more of a Brooklyn living district, rather than the more expected business or shopping district. 

To finish up I took a look at past plane crashes, as well as existing crash sites depicted in video games, and concept art produced by other concept artists.


This is a scenery plan I am showing here. The images are of certain areas within the Lower East Side New York, which I think are suitable for my concept design to be placed. I started out using blue lines to find the perspective, and from there was able find the horizon line using a red line.




Final Piece:
Night time version is actually pretty bad... and probably could have chosen a better angle.

No comments:

Post a Comment